Sunday, January 17, 2010

Muppet Octopus

The Muppets have used octopus characters several times in their productions, dating all the way back to The Ed Sullivan Show. In fact, they've done at least three different versions of the Beatles' Octopus Garden, on Ed Sullivan, Sesame Street, and The Muppet Show. A Muppet Octopus or three also featured prominently in the James Coburn episode of The Muppet Show, so I figured that I might want to try my hand at making one from scratch to go with my Muppet action figures from Palisades Toys.

The process was relatively simple, because I was just making an octopus statue out of Sculpey polymer clay. You basically roll eight clay snakes, smush them together, paint it, and you get this:



Muppet Octopus: front view


Muppet Octopus: top view


Muppet Octopus: rear view





Muppet Octopus with Kermit the Frog, Gonzo, and Rizzo the Rat for scale.

I like how he turned out, but because he's made of baked clay and he's very tentacley, I'm sure he's going to smash into a million pieces one of these days. I haven't made very many of these "from scratch," and that's the biggest reason why. That and I need some sculpting lessons.

Anyway. Muppet Octopus. Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I remember seeing this one or not. Either way, this one is excellent. I can't think of wanting an octopus before, but this figure makes me wish one was made by Palisades. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to comment on this before, but I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete